At SWEEETHEAT we believe we are more than just sauces and rubs. Keeping this in mind, we are always looking for ways to bring you new recipes that showcase the versatility of our products. And when you think of versatility, there’s nothing more versatile than fried fish and grits. Like its cousin recipe, shrimp and grits, this fried catfish and grits recipe can be served any time of day and for any occasion! Keep it in your pocket for an upcoming brunch with family or friends, if you’re hosting a summer fish fry, or if you’re looking to deviate from your normal dinner plan.
This SWEETHEAT recipe features catfish dipped in a blend of buttermilk and vinegar then drudged in a mixture of flour, cornmeal, and SWEEETHEAT’s Southern BBQ Blend. The catfish filets are deep fried until crispy and golden brown and served on top of our extra special savory, creamy, and cheesy grits. Take the flavor profile of this dish to the next level, by drizzling your bowl with a little bit of SWEEETHEAT Spicy Homey Honey BBQ Sauce and garnishing with green onions.
About SWEEETHEAT’S SOUTHERN BBQ BLEND
SWEEETHEAT’s Southern BBQ Blend is an all purpose spice blend made with real dark brown sugar, garam masala, coriander, ancho chili powder, cayenne pepper, and more! This sweet and savory spice blend with a hint of heat is an excellent pairing for poultry, pork, and as this recipe suggests your seafood dishes. If you’re looking for other Southern-inspired recipes to bring to life with SWEEETHEAT barbecue sauces and rubs – check them out below:
BBQ SPICED CATFISH AND CHEESE GRITS
For the Catfish
- 4 to 6 Catfish Filets (about 6 ounces)
- 1 Lemon
- Coarse Salt
- 2 Cups Vegetable Oil or Corn Oil (for Frying)
- ¾ Cup Milk or Buttermilk
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Teaspoons SWEEETHEAT Southern BBQ Blend
- 1 Cup Self Rising Flour
- ¼ Cup Yellow Cornmeal
For the Grits
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Coarse Grits
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Block of Cream Cheese (8 Ounces)
For the Catfish
- In a heavy-bottomed frying pan (or cast iron skillet) and heat vegetable oil or corn oil on medium-high until hot. At the same time, preheat the oven to 200F degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Set aside.
- While the oil heats, prepare the catfish by seasoning lightly with salt and squeezing lemon juice over each side.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, apple cider vinegar and two teaspoons of SWEEETHEAT Southern BBQ Blend until well combined. In another large shallow bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, and the remaining two teaspoons of SWEEETHEAT BBQ Blend.
- Dip each catfish filet in the buttermilk mixture first, shaking off any excess, before dipping in the flour mixture. Repeat once more, dipping into the buttermilk mixture followed by the flour mixture.
- Once oil is heated, add catfish filets and fry on medium high heat until golden brown and crispy. Approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Remove fried catfish from grease and place on the prepared baking sheet. Place in the preheated oven, while you prepare the grits (See instructions for the grits).
- Once grits are complete, serve in an individual serving sized bowl and top with a fried catfish filet.
- Optional: Drizzle plated catfish and grits with SWEEETHEAT Spicy Homey Honey BBQ Sauce and/or green onions.
For the Grits
- Add chicken broth, milk, and butter to a large pot. On medium-high heat, whisk until butter is melted, then bring to a simmer. Once the liquid is simmering, whisk in grits in a slow stream.
- Slowly stir the mixture over low heat until it thickens. (It should take 15 to 20 minutes to thicken.)
- Once it has reached desired thickness add the block of cream cheese and stir until completely melted.
© 2021 Copyright by Demond Mullen, Owner and founder of SWEEETHEAT Sauces & Rubs